#prayer #pray #howtopray #healing #challenge #matthew6 #forgiveness #prayer #Jesus
Matthew 6:5-13 –
And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words. “Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. In this manner, therefore, pray:
Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.
And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.
From reading Matthew 6, What does prayer entail?
- Humility – Not being a “showoff” so people can watch you pray.
- Going into a quiet place where it’s just you and God
- Speak to God like you would speak to a close friend. It doesn’t have to be long prayers thinking you will be heard and blessed more for your many words. No need to make repetitive sentences.
- Praise God (Hallowed be your name)
- Pray for your needs (daily bread)
- Pray for forgiveness us of your sins
- Forgive those who have hurt you
- Pray for protection from temptation
- Pray for protection from the enemy
- Declaration and Praise of the Lord
How powerful is prayer?
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 – If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- Acts 3:6 – Then Peter said, “Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk.” – A lame man from birth was asking for money. He got a prayer that forever changed his life as he leaped for joy for the first time!
- Acts 16:18 – But Paul, greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her.” And he came out that very hour. A demon possessed slave girl was used as a fortune teller for profit. Paul the apostle was annoyed about what was going on and commanded that demon spirit to leave in the name of Jesus. Prayer works!
- Acts 12: 5-10 – Peter was therefore kept in prison, but constant prayer was offered to God for him by the church. And when Herod was about to bring him out, that night Peter was sleeping, bound with two chains between two soldiers; and the guards before the door were keeping the prison. Now behold, an angel of the Lord stood by him, and a light shone in the prison; and he struck Peter on the side and raised him up, saying, “Arise quickly!” And his chains fell off his hands. Then the angel said to him, “Gird yourself and tie on your sandals”; and so he did. And he said to him, “Put on your garment and follow me.” So he went out and followed him, and did not know that what was done by the angel was real, but thought he was seeing a vision. 10 When they were past the first and the second guard posts, they came to the iron gate that leads to the city, which opened to them of its own accord; and they went out and went down one street, and immediately the angel departed from him. This happened from the prayers of the saints in church. Hallelujah!!
- Matthew 18:20 – For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”
Let’s look at more scriptures regarding prayer:
- Philippians 4: 6-7 – Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
- Colossians 4:2 – Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17 – pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
- 1 Timothy 2:8 – I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting
- 1 John 1:9 – If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- James 5:16 – Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.
Father God, Thank You for your Son Jesus Christ. You have given us access, through Jesus, to approach your throne in boldness to petition our requests to you. Help us to seek you in prayer and fellowship for those you have placed on our hearts to pray for. I love you Jesus for what you have done and what you will continue to do in our lives. Amen.