#fasting #prayer #glory #God #befree #setfree #castoutdemons #righteousness #weightloss #healing #intercession #selfcontrol #emotionalstrength
Isaiah 58:5-8 – Is it a fast that I have chosen, A day for a man to afflict his soul? Is it to bow down his head like a bulrush, And to spread out sackcloth and ashes? Would you call this a fast, And an acceptable day to the Lord?
“Is this not the fast that I have chosen: To loose the bonds of wickedness, To undo the heavy burdens, To let the oppressed go free, And that you break every yoke?
Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out; When you see the naked, that you cover him, And not hide yourself from your own flesh?
Then your light shall break forth like the morning, Your healing shall spring forth speedily, And your righteousness shall go before you; The glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.
Fasting is denying the flesh (body) food for a specified time frame so that the focus is on Christ alone.
There are many health benefits to fasting:
- Helps with weight loss
- Lowers the risk of diseases
- Speeds up metabolism
- Promotes long life
- Improves brain function and immune system
- Clears skin and prevents acne
The spiritual benefits:
- A new desire for God – Refocus on Him
- Deeper Praise – more intimate
- Helps with intercession – praying for others than worrying about your issues
- Sensitivity to God’s voice
- Give up bad habits – self-control
- Peace of mind/emotional strength going through trials
- Healing – relationships, physical, mental
This is a time when you can bring your personal requests before the throne of God.
If there is an area of your life where there has been constant attacks or temptations (in body and mind), this will be the time to bring it before the Lord so that that “bondage” can be broken.
What do I eat and drink during a fast? There is no food during a fast..only liquids.
How do I start? It would be a mix of bible reading, praise & worship, and prayer. It doesn’t have to be in that order. Just follow the leading of the Lord.
How long is the fast? You can start with a 3 day fast. You can do more if you would like. Some people fast 1 day a week.
During your prayer time, you will be:
- Giving thanks for all He has done and what He is going to do in your life
- Confessing your sins
- Asking God to deliver you and set you free from the areas that you know are weak
- Praying for others (family, friends, anyone He places on your heart)
Father God, we bless you for what you will do during these 3 days of fasting and prayer. Help us. Strengthen our hearts, minds and spirit as we take this time to seek you, lay our burdens down and receive deliverance in the areas of our life that need restoration.
Thank You Lord. Amen